Data Science, Protection & Security
Specialisation of the bachelor of International Business Management
Turn information into insights into results!
- Interested in using technology and the newest digital tools?
- Curious about the inner mechanisms that drive the world of business?
- Ready to take the plunge into fast-moving, high-tech world of big data?
- Start acquiring the business knowledge and ICT skills that will enable you to make the connection between both worlds.
- Learn how to unlock the full power of data to make businesses smarter, more efficient, more agile and more profitable.
- Boost your cyber security capabilities with the latest technologies and techniques.
- Discover the art and science of extracting insights from data.
- Put the theory into practice tackling real-life projects from the corporate world.
- Get an inside perspective during an intensive internship.
- Experience a hands-on approach with project work organised by lecturers with extensive industry experience.
- Realise your potential as a fully-qualified data manager, data analyst, data protection officer or cyber security expert.
- Get the flexibility to start this 6-semester programme either in February or September!
Mon - Fri: 9.00-15.00 (BXL Time)
Hello top internship and job
The demand for data and security experts has increased exponentially. You can go on an internship at: Ordina, PWC, Deloitte, DHL, IBM... Thanks to the combination of technical knowledge, data and business background companies are lining up for you!
Obtain a valuable certificate during the education
You get the opportunity to obtain the Google analytics certificate. This allows you to work as a qualified web analyst.
- In practice/Workplace learning
- Personal coaching
- Go international
- Admission requirements
- Phase 1 | We will teach you the technological tools that allow you to get started with databases and large quantities of data. You will learn to work with syntax and get an introduction into data protection and cyber security. You also learn the basic principles of entrepreneurism and management.
- Phase 2 | You will be immersed in analysis techniques. Python is THE scripting language for this. We simulate cyberattacks and teach you how to detect any weak spots in the security. You learn to think like a hacker. Game on!
- Phase 3 | You take the role as a security expert in this phase: make a secure network and build firewalls to protect it. In this world of big data it is also important to learn the principles of artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Below you can find an overview of the courses (under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
- Would you like to know the detailed content of each subject? Check the programme guide.
Phase 1 2 3 BUSINESS Business Fundamentals 3 Entrepreneurial Management 3 Financial Management 6 Management skills 3 Marketing analytics 3 Corporate Social Responsibility 3 Project Management 3 Applied Business Intelligence 6 COMMUNICATION & PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT Business Communication 3 Personal Development 3 Intercultural Communication 3 Business Communication Topics 3 TECHNOLOGY Computer Toolkit 3 Programming Fundamentals i 6 Web Fundamentals i 6 Databases i 6 Scripting i 6 Inspiration Lab 3 Phase 1 2 3 Programming Advanced 6 Web Programming 3 Artificial Intelligence 3 DATA Data Visualisation i 3 Data processing & Analysis i 3 Dimensional Modeling 3 Data Integration 3 Data Science Fundamentals 6 Data Science Advanced i 6 SECURITY Information Security Fundamentals i 3 Data Protection i 3 Identity & Access Management i 3 Cyber Risk Management i 3 ELECTIVES Electives 9 9 @ WORK Internship 18 Integrated Lab 12 Phase 1 2 3 BUSINESS Business Fundamentals 3 Entrepreneurial Management 3 Financial Management 6 Management skills 3 Marketing analytics 3 Corporate Social Responsibility 3 Project Management 3 Applied Business Intelligence 6 COMMUNICATION & PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT Business Communication 3 Personal Development 3 Intercultural Communication 3 Business Communication Topics 3 TECHNOLOGY Computer Toolkit 3 Programming Fundamentals i 6 Web Fundamentals i 6 Databases i 6 Scripting i 6 Inspiration Lab 3 Programming Advanced 6 Web Programming 3 Artificial Intelligence 3 DATA Data Visualisation i 3 Data processing & Analysis i 3 Dimensional Modeling 3 Data Integration 3 Data Science Fundamentals 6 Data Science Advanced i 6 SECURITY Information Security Fundamentals i 3 Data Protection i 3 Identity & Access Management i 3 Cyber Risk Management i 3 ELECTIVES Electives 9 9 @ WORK Internship 18 Integrated Lab 12
Check out an example timetable for phase 1.
In practice/Workplace learning
Practice will be the common thread throughout your programme. Thanks to projects with companies you will get the opportunity to test new technology in an actual working environment. You will get assignments taken straight from the heart of the business.
To top it all off, you will conclude this option with a full term of internship. Our students have already made impressions in companies such as Telenet, ING, Deloitte, KBC, Cronos, Keyrus, Proximus and Delta Lloyd.
Each year’s classes are divided into two parts that each last 13 weeks. During those 13 weeks we focus intensely on a select number of classes. At the end of this period there are exams. As such, we can spread out the study load more evenly throughout the academic year. What’s more, this means we can focus more on personal mentorship and feedback. Practical exercises, group projects, cooperation and sharing knowledge are all central.
All of this mentorship and knowledge you will receive from (guest) lectors that are firmly grounded in the business world. Add to that a healthy no-nonsense approach, and you end up with a unique mix of authenticity, expertise and coaching
You’ll experience the true meaning of ‘interculturality’ every day. No course book or syllabus can top that. You’ll get to know professionals from all around the world and build your international network from day one. English becomes your mother tongue, the world your new home.
Our application process is really straightforward.
You will only need to meet 3 simple requirements:
Some more good news! Thomas More has no numerus clausus procedure, nor do we have a limit on the number of admitted students.
You can find more specific information about our admission requirements here.
- The job of your life
- Additional studies
- Working in Belgium
The job of your life
- Data analyst
- Business intelligence consultant
- Data protection officer
- Cyber security advisor
- Data architect
- Data engineer
- Business analyst
- Business information manager
Working in Belgium
International students can apply for a new residence permit status upon graduation and extend their stay in Belgium up to 12 months to find work! Eager to launch your career in Belgium after your studies? No worries! We’re here to help you navigate the Search Year application process.